The key technical challenge for this event was that the entertainment focus could be on any, or all, of the three stages around the West Ballroom. In fact, the entertainment for the evening began out in the foyer, with the band leading the guests in. The event producer, e=mc2 Events, asked Proshow to design an audio system that could accommodate several MC’s on different stages, with the action bouncing from one side of the room to another; as well as large performances on a single stage, or multiple stages within the same hit.
We designed a comprehensive audio system that allowed us to adjust the orientation of the sound. This meant that when someone was presenting on the west stage, it sounded to the 900-strong audience that their voice was coming from the west side of the room. So, when a second voice sounded like it was coming from the main stage to the south, the audience instinctively knew where to look to follow the action.
We built the solution with multiple—individually controlled—line arrays. Using SMAART, a tool that allows us to analyze the acoustics accurately in real-time, we were able to EQ and time-align each array, then create a snapshot dedicated to each ‘room orientation.’ Each snapshot included its own routing and time alignment, recallable at the touch of a button, which produced the effect of the sound source changing direction around the ballroom.
The result was pretty stunning with an audience that was fully immersed in the moment. As one MC would throw to another, the audience would shift their focus to the new location, following the source of the sound. At the outcome of the evening, $3.8M had been raised to support the Brain Breakthroughs campaign, to help provide world-leading care and to fund research into future treatments.
EVENT NAME: VGH/UBC Night of a Thousand Stars Gala 2019
PRODUCED BY: e=mc2 Events
DATE: October 26, 2019
LOCATION: Vancouver, Vancouver Convention Centre – West Ballroom BCD
# OF ATTENDEES: 920
- Design an audio system to cover an audience of 920 with multiple stages and varying focus
- Multiple MC’s on varying stages, different stages one-after-another
- Multiple entertainment hits on varying stages, sometimes multiple stages within the same hit
- (6) x Meyer Line array (M’elodie and MINA) with fill speakers and subwoofers (total 62 cabinets)
- (2) Meyer Galileo Processors
- Digico SD12 mixing console
- (16) Shure Axient Digital Wireless systems
- (4) mixes of Shure PSM1000 IEM for entertainment with 14 receivers
- (1) 19’ x 96’ ultra-wide projection screen
- (6) 13’x24’ projection screens
- (12) Barco HDXwFLEX 20,000 lumen projectors
- 6-head Dataton WATCHOUT video server
- Barco E2 Screen Management
- All install, operation and dismantle technicians
- Onsite backups for all critical pieces of equipment